Preservation Dayton, Inc. (PDI) accepts nominations for outstanding individuals businesses, or organizations that have contributed to PDI’s mission to promote, protect, and enhance greater Dayton’s architectural heritage, its setting, and its contributions to the region’s quality of life.
These awards recognize and celebrate historic preservation leaders in the following categories:
Criteria: Each award recognizes creative, inspirational leaders whose efforts have contributed to the protection, renovation, and revitalization of historic neighborhoods, individual structures, or strengthened the historic preservation movement or the quality of life in Dayton’s historic communities. Awards may celebrate neighborhood and community leaders, business owners and businesses, nonprofit organizations, government leaders, journalists and other dedicated individuals who have succeeded in protecting Dayton’s historic architecture and built environment.
Lifetime achievement award
Five Oaks Historic Districts
Steven and Mary Solomon
148 Squirrel Road
Longtime fans of iconic architect Frank Lloyd Wright, Steven and Mary Solomon made an offer on the prairie-style house in 2018, and after the purchase was complete, they had structural improvements made to the roof, plumbing system, fireplace/chimney. They had a radon mitigation system installed, two exterior doors replaced, and a backyard fence erected, all with approval of the city's historic preservation officer. This 3,300+ square foot home is now completely refreshed with fresh paint both inside and out, original hardwood floors refinished, and new carpeting in bedrooms. A new gas heating and dual zone air conditioning system was also installed.
The house was designed by Dayton architects Schenck and Williams, known for also designing the Engineer's Club, Liberty Tower, and the Wright Brothers' Hawthorn Hill, among other buildings. The house has a great room with a large fireplace, an office with built-in bookshelves, a dining room with built-in display and storage cabinets, a breakfast room, a sunroom, and a full kitchen with a butler's nook.
According to research by Andrew Walsh, Carrie E. Jenet is recorded as acquiring the 8735 square foot lot in 1911. She was the sister-in-law to William J. Roetter, who spent 47 years as a buyer for the linen and white goods department of the Rike-Kumler Co. It is likely that Roetter made a significant financial contribution to purchase the lot for $1,200, hire the architectural firm of Schenck and Willams, and construct the house for $7,500. A garage was later added at a cost of about $300. Jenet was a "modiste," or dressmaker, who dealt in high-end fashion. She never married and died on July 5, 1938.
The Solomons requested the city's approval to rezone the property from HD-1 overlay, which is one of the least restrictive historic designations, to HD-2 overlay, which is one of the most restrictive, and requires a Certificate of Appropriateness for any exterior work. All boards voted to approve the rezoning, confirming that the house is the finest example in the prairie-school style.
Grafton Hill Historic District
221 Belmonte Park East
Cheryl Bates is a well-deserved and double-award recipient for her commitment to historic preservation. She is the recipient of Grafton Hill’s Excellence in Preservation Award and also the recipient of PDI’s city-wide At-Large Award for her remarkable preservation successes throughout Dayton.
Cheryl renovated her first historic home on 131 Huffman Avenue in 1983. Her creativity and commitment to improving the quality of life in this newly emerging historic district was an early inspiration for her fellow neighbors and new homeowners in the Huffman Historic District.
After 16 years, Cheryl moved on to the St. Anne’s Hill for a couple years and then on to South Park, remodeling enough of each house to put her unique touch on both. As usual, she was actively engaged in both neighborhoods while in residence.
Throughout these three decades, Cheryl has also been a dynamic member and leader of Preservation Dayton, Inc. She has served as a board member and volunteered for countless PDI committees, social events, and educational programs. She can always be counted on to appear at public hearings and to provide in-depth research to advance preservation causes throughout the city.
Cheryl also served as two separate terms as PDI’s Treasurer for a total of 12 years. Thanks to her dedication and commitment to excellence, PDI was ensured that all the requirements for the organization’s tax filings, its non-profit status, its postal address, and all of its financial records were managed and maintained with the utmost accuracy and timeliness.
In addition to all of these volunteer commitments, Cheryl continues to serve on the Grafton Hill Community Development Corporation which stopped the demolition of two historic homes and relocated the homes to former empty lots on Central and Federal Avenues.
In between Huffman HD and St. Anne’s Hill, Cheryl purchased 221 Belmonte Park East, and began a twenty-year effort that transformed this remuddled 1970s Doctor’s office/apartment back to its original Prairie-style, becoming one of the most stellar homes in the city. To quote the Grafton Hill Association, “The work Cheryl has done at her home in Grafton is astounding. Taking a once grand home turned doctor’s office back to its original glory, removing a parking lot and making a home outfitted with all the modern amenities of today is not something for the faint of heart. This home is truly a labor of love for Cheryl and the results speak for themselves. The improvements she made to her property have far-reaching and lasting effects on the fabric of Grafton Hill and the surrounding area—adding value to versus detracting from the historic charm of Belmonte Park E. and the surrounding community.”
Cheryl’s home was built approximately in 1915 in the Prairie style popularized by Frank Lloyd Wright. There have been seven owners of this house since its construction more than 100 years ago. In the 1970’s, the house next door at 215 Belmonte Park East was demolished to create a parking lot. At that time, additions on the front and west side were constructed to create commercial space to house a doctor’s office and apartment. Cheryl carefully removed these additions and used the remaining floor of the front addition to create a large terrace. The terrace added another common feature of Prairie-style architecture. Cheryl also removed the parking lot and both lots are now beautifully landscaped.
The home’s exterior stucco walls are highlighted by wood strips. The low-pitched roof and wide projecting eaves add to the horizontal appearance which is a prime characteristic of Prairie-style houses. The horizontal lines are balanced by sets of vertical casement windows.
The art-glass in the front facade was originally located on the west façade at the interior staircase landing. The pagoda-like appearance of the front gable reflects the Japanese influence on Prairie-style architecture. There are also secondary influences of the Tudor-style in the false half-timbering in the gables. In addition to meticulously restoring the exterior of the home, Cheryl has lovingly renovated the interior by combining the original floor plan with modern amenities.
Cheryl finally took occupancy in July 2019. Even though a homeowner is never finished and there are future projects planned for this house, Cheryl says “I feel as though I always lived here. I’m very comfortable and content. Grafton Hill is a great place to live and I’m here forever.”
Huffman Historic District
MCPHERSON TOWN HISTORIC DISTRICT
Michael Jacobs & Gretchen Durst
101 McDaniels St.
Since moving into the neighborhood in 2011, Michael Jacobs and Gretchen Durst have embarked on a handful of renovation and preservation activities which have strengthened the McPherson Town neighborhood. In 2011, Michael and Gretchen purchased 101 McDaniel Street out of foreclosure and began significant improvements to the nearly 5,000 sf stately home. They have methodically returned the corner giant into the marquee corner icon of the neighborhood.
Undaunted with that experience, they purchased one of the most distressed homes in the neighborhood at 19 Floral. In 2014, Michael and Gretchen began to transform that long-neglected property into its current state. Improvements included a complete restoration of the wood siding that had been hidden by asphalt shingles, and a complete gut and restoration of the interior which included raising a rear bedroom roofline to provide a better living environment.
Not ones to sit idly by, in 2016 they purchased a foreclosed duplex at 114 Floral. Over the past four years, Michael and Gretchen have renovated and restored that property into one of the premier duplexes in the neighborhood.
As soon as Michael and Gretchen arrived in McPherson Town, they began contributing to the neighborhood's physical and social fabric. They have brought passion, commitment and sense of detail that has greatly benefited the McPherson Town neighborhood and all its residents.
OREGON HISTORIC DISTRICT
Audria and Ebi Maki, Owners of Reza's Roast
438 Wayne Ave.
The Oregon Historic District is proud to nominate Audria and Ebi Maki of Reza’s Roast for the 2020 Excellence in Historic Preservation Award. When the Maki’s purchased the building at 438 Wayne Ave., it was “basically a mess with a very cool loft apartment upstairs.” Audria was lovingly in charge of designing the new space for their downtown cafe and made sure to research the original building, keeping the original details intact that she could, and make the new design seem as if everything had always been there. Audria focused on incorporating natural light, multiple intimate seating spaces, and a focus on inclusivity by making the cafe family friendly with a nursing room, and easily accessible handicap entrances and spaces.
The downtown cafe opened on June 25, 2019, 3 years after the Maki’s started renovations on the building. According to Audria, there were many obstacles that made this renovation an almost failure. “The biggest challenge was fire code. Putting in fire suppression was cost prohibitive so we had to use an exemption in the building code called Chapter 34. It was just very complicated. We also acted as the general contractors ourselves to save money. And inspectors and subcontractors hated that. Between Ebi, Amir and myself were basically onsite at all times (we all have full time jobs). While we have done plenty of home remodels in the past a commercial one is a whole other animal. Honestly we should have failed. We started with demo-ing a poorly constructed office built in the 60’s in the front and removing 100 years worth of debris. In total we took out 16 large Rumpke dumpsters. After that it was completely upgraded electric and plumbing, 2 hour fire barrier ceiling and walls for fire code, a very expensive effort to keep a working freight elevator, new windows, new entrances, moving a staircase, new flooring, new drywall, new parking lot.”
We are proud to honor the Maki family for providing this beautiful space to the neighborhood and persevering through the renovation due to their strong work ethic and belief in the community.
ST. ANNE'S HILL HISTORIC DISTRICT
Adam and Jason Coatney-Schuler
1505 E. Fourth St.
The Board of Trustees of St. Anne’s Hill Historic District Society is proud to nominate Adam and Jason Coatney-Schuler for the 2020 Excellence in Historic Preservation Award. Adam and Jason bought 1505 E. Fourth St. and 1507 E. Fourth St. in February 2013.
1505 was a brick structure that had been through foreclosure and the subject of two previous attempts at rehab. 1507 was a wood frame structure that had been abandoned in 1997. Since then, it stood open and deteriorating, becoming a blight on the neighborhood. The one bright spot was that the house sat on a double lot. Adam and Jason replatted the lots into one property and received permission to tear down the deteriorated second house.
They worked non-stop to create the beautiful, tasteful home and grounds that exist there today. They have created a comfortable home with all the modern conveniences, while keeping the main house and exterior true to its 1870’s origins. Throughout the process of rehabilitating their home, the Coatney-Schulers have contributed much to the neighborhood, hosting social events at their home and volunteering for projects in and around St. Anne’s Hill. Their work ethic and positive attitudes are an inspiration to all.
Wright-Dunbar Village &